First Sunday in Lent (Series B)
Genesis 22:1–18 / James 1:12–18 / Mark 1:9–15
Christ Jesus Defeats Our Temptation and Saves Us by His Faithfulness
In faith and the fear of God, Abraham prepared to sacrifice his beloved son, Isaac. At the Word of the Lord, he “took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on Isaac his son.” And “when they came to the place of which God had told him,” Abraham bound Isaac “and laid him on the altar” (Gen. 22:6, 9). Then God stayed Abraham’s hand and provided “for himself the lamb for a burnt offering” (Gen. 22:8). That Lamb is God’s own beloved Son, Jesus, in whom “all the nations of the earth” are blessed (Gen. 22:18). As the Substitute for all the sons of men, Jesus is driven by the Spirit “into the wilderness” to be “tempted by Satan” (Mark 1:12–13) in order to endure and defeat all temptation. We are tempted by our own desire, which conceives and “gives birth to sin” (James 1:14–15). But this blessed Man, Christ Jesus, remained “steadfast under trial,” and He has received “the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him” (James 1:12). His faithfulness, His victory and His life are now given to us by His grace in the Gospel.
Lent 2018: “Return From Exile” is the theme for this year’s 40 day Lenten journey of repentance and faith. Because Jesus is with His people in both wilderness and promised land, we do not walk alone! Zion again participates in a round-robin with Grace Lutheran in Grand Island and St. Paul Lutheran in Doniphan, with Pastors Niemeier, Bremer, and Busskohl sharing time between congregations. This Wednesday’s theme is, “Sackcloth and Ashes to Robes of Righteousness.” Evening LWML will serve a sloppy joe supper at 5:30 p.m. All invited! Vespers starts at 7 p.m.
School Clean Up: The school is being gone through to prepare for a Garage Sale in March. If you donated any items to the school and would like them back please contact Courtney Bierbaum at 308-380-4668.
Parents Night Out: Are you a parent who would enjoy an evening out with just your spouse? Members of Zion youth group are here to help! Zion’s high schoolers, along with adult sponsors, aim to serve busy parents by offering an evening of free babysitting TONIGHT starting at 5:00. We will provide a meal and movie for your kids in the gym. You get to decide what you want to do with your time together. With questions, please talk to Tish or one of the Zion’s high school students.
Sunday Morning Bible Study: Every One His Witness is a Lutheran evangelism study that teaches you to witness to your friends, coworkers, and any other nonchurched people you may know. Using the LASSIE approach to witnessing (listen, ask, seek, share, invite, and encourage), you will learn how to naturally share the Good News of Jesus Christ through relational, contextual witnessing. Our study is held on Sunday mornings in the church basement starting at 9:00 a.m.
Equipping the Priesthood of All Believers: Issues, Etc. is a radio talk show and podcast hosted by LCMS Pastor Todd Wilken and produced by Lutheran Public Radio in Collinsville, IL. This week’s teachings include: The Book of Judges, Responding to Objections to the Christian Faith, First Century Pastor & Martyr Polycarp, Paul Sails for Rome and more. You can listen at your convenience at www.issuesetc.org and on the LPR mobile app.
Week 49 ‘Bible in a Year’ Readings:
- Day 358 Rev. 20-21; Zechariah 9-14
- Day 359 Rev. 22; Malachi 1-4
- Day 360 James 1-2; Jonah 1-4
- Day 361 James 3; Esther 1-4
- Day 362 James 4-5; Esther 5-10
- Day 363 Prov. 31; Psalm 148
- Day 364 Rest
- Red and Blue 2018 is March 17, 2018at Riverside Golf Club in Grand Island, NE. As we celebrate our emerald anniversary (20th), we are this year adding a touch of elegance for this milestone. You can buy tickets, choose Prime Rib or Chicken Cordon Bleu for your meal, and more, for this semi-formal celebration and fundraiser at our new Red & Blue website http://heartlandlutheran.maestroweb.com/ or through the school office at 308-385-3900.
- Once again it’s time to designate your Thrivent Choice Dollars. Heartland Lutheran High School is indeed thankful for your opportunity to assign your Choice Dollars to the school. In order to continue your Choice Dollar selection please contact your Thrivent representative or call 800-847-4836. Selections have to be made annually and need to be completed by March 1st.